Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas 2010

This was an especially exciting Christmas for us. I've always loved Christmas and the little traditions that come with it and was over the moon to start new traditions with Mila and Lola (who of course, didn't have any clue as to what was going on!) We had tons of family time, they were held more than most kids will be held in a lifetime, we took them for photos with Santa Clause and we went to church for the first time as a family where they behaved liked little ladies and looked adorable in the outfits from their aunt Brittany!



Despite the fun and excitement, this Christmas had a very scary moment. The morning after the girls and I spent the night at my parent's home, their kitchen exploded and caught on fire. This happened just minutes after mom and dad helped me load the twincesses in my car for their 9:00 a.m. doctor appointment. They walked back into my childhood home, smelled gas, walked into the kitchen where dad detected the gas came from under the sink. Once he opened the cabinet, he and mom were thrown several feet back by a ball of flame that consumed my father's skin and left him with 1st and 2nd degree burns on his face, hands, and arms. The damage was minimal, but it was the scariest moment in my life to receive a hysterically frantic call from my mother informing me her house was on fire.

Needless to say our holiday took a somber turn, but almost immediately we were extremely grateful we still had each other.

My father captivating Ms Mila

Mom tired but grateful the day after the fire
It could have gone so much worse but God's grace was all over my family. It was just another reassurance that we are under the plan of One that loves and cares for us.

Christmas morning went as usual at the Rodriguez home. We were all together, 15 people, 4 dogs, and had a great time opening gifts, holding babies, and taking our annual Christmas picture in matching pajamas.

Cousin Kacie holding Lola
Mila and I Christmas morning


All of the family minus Romo
This has been a topsy turvy year for us but in the end family still and always will remain. I'm fortunate to have two families that love and care for us and now our girls. We have lost loved ones this year, we have felt pain, fear, sadness, loss and suffering, but at the end of the day, at the end of the year, and at then end of time our love will always remain.

It's the one thing we'll take with us to heaven and I cannot wait to instill the same type of love into our daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment