Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fried Pickles


I'm in the middle of a real life version of the icecapades. 

I'm going on SNOW DAY THREE! That's right, snow days. We've been cooped up in the house, doing a little work, but mostly play. The most amusing part? Facebook. Yes, Facebook. It doesn't matter how many friends you have, almost everyone is guaranteed to have at least 40 friends actively online ready to chat if you're where I'm from because there's nothing else to do it seems. If the posts aren't about cabin fever, rolling blackouts, or how happy/mad/glad they are about the closings and road conditions, then they're sharing about food.

Yes, food.

Stews, roasts, hot chocolates and every other wintery weather foods you can think of. I contemplated making some brownies or cookies, and even pulled out my big pretzel making kit (LOVE) but tonight, I decided on fried pickles. (I made some pretty awesome beef stew last night)

Not exactly a wintery food winner, but if you love fried pickles like I do, it doesn't matter the season or wind chill.

Need a simple recipe? Here you go!

(my adapted version of Hooter's recipe for their famous fried pickles from my favorite ex-Hooter's cook)

Ingredients

Pickles, preferably thick sliced dills, Vlasic makes great dill chips
Flour
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Seasoning Salt
Oil/Fryer

Pat pickles dry
Have your flour seasoned and ready to go! My Hooter's source never mentioned using season salt but I found that it's not too bad for fried pickles. I would say half a tsp or so of each spice give or take your preference, I don't measure...

Flour your pickles and place in your fryer. I prefer my Fry Daddy but any deep fryer or pan will work as long as the pickles are submerged in the oil.

Fry until a light golden brown.
Remove from oil and place on some paper towels to soak up the massive amounts of grease (hey, never said this was healthy!)


There you go! Fried pickles, super easy, but very tasty. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment