Thursday, January 13, 2011

Catch Up Time!

There is so much I'm behind on and desperately need to get started on. It has been almost 6 weeks we've had the girls and we are still adjusting. Don't let this blog fool you, we don't have it ALL together but we are enjoying the journey.

Here's a glimpse of what I'd like to see done over the next week or so. I have a three day weekend coming up but I'm not pressing my luck as the end of a semester brings a ton of extra grading and planning!


1) Thank you notes


We have so many to write, but not only is it a timely task, but it's not cheap. Thank you notes cost about $4-$6 for a dozen, sometimes more if you want cute ones, but I'll need several dozen. As an art teacher I would have made my own using some printmaking techniques had I had more time to plan but becoming an instant mommy made that impossible. I'm working on making a photocard which will save on time, and be more of a keepsake as opposed to something that may just be thrown away but am bothered with the fact they may not be as personal as a hand written note. Then I think of my handwriting and feel better about my choice seeing how trying to decipher it is a task in itself.

2) Nursery Intervention

Our poor girls :( They have a great crib and a few other things to occupy their nursery but I haven't decided on bedding, nor do I even have a set of drawers! Money has been tight with the changes but it will get better once these initial couple of months are over. In the meantime my girls have a few of these keeping their things organized.


I also need to move the location of the nursery to another empty room as I picked the smallest room and closet in the house. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but with TWO, I definitely need more space (and a place for real furniture when I can get it). This involves moving this crib (in espresso, not cherry).

Of course it would have to be disassembled first. Boo. Bedding has been a tricky. They have temporary crib sheets and blakets for now but I'm not a pink girl so finding bedding has been diffciult. I know I want earth tones with lots of warm reds and golds. I LOVE this Tanzania bedding but just can't allow myself to spend $400 on bedding. If I can't find something soon, it looks like mom will have to bust out the sewing machine.


3) Footprints/Handprints

We didn't get our girls until they were already one month old so this little project was already way behind before we even had them! The only thing stopping me was an ink pad that I kept on forgetting to purchase while at the store. Luckily I came across this little project idea and love it, plus, I have ALL of the supplies already at home. Check it out at Little Miss Momma's blog here.

4) Baby Book(s)

I've made it an issue to make sure I document, and photograph important milestones and elements involving our girls and their adoption. Not only does the baby book serve the purpose of recording milestones, but it will allow me to answer many of the questions the girls may have about the adoption. I want to be able to give them as many answers as possible as they grow and become curious about how we became their mommy and daddy. Of course it would be easy for me to just go buy one, but the art teacher in me feels like I squeak out something a little more custom.


So there you go, a list of just a few things I'm desperately behind on! I hope to blog soon about the completion of each of these tasks, very soon!

1 comment: