Sunday, January 9, 2011

Twin Perks

Being the mother of twins brings new challenges your average mother may never encounter. I use to get bothered by people that always made comments to Joey and I about our free time and financial status before we had kids. You know, the whole "Just wait 'till you have kids!" or "You don't understand, you don't have kids..."Let me be honest, it's drove me nuts when they said those things. Maybe I was frustrated that we weren't parents yet, or maybe it bothered me that they assumed we would be ill prepared and oblivious of the seriousness of parenthood. I always thought, once I have one, then they'll say I won't understand until I have more than one...the only way to stop is to have twins. 

Guess what? It worked :)

Now being the new mommy of twins has been a challenge. Has it been hard? No. I've had one borderline hard evening but overall hard isn't the word to describe it. It has definitely been an adjustment. When people ask how we do it, we simply reply, "We don't know anything else." Our first opportunity at parenthood is with twins so it's all we know. Twenty diaper changes a day is normal for us, buying twice as much formula is expected, and having two of everything is already second nature. 

Domino art featured on Etsy by therubyrabbit

Many people focus on these things and consider them cons of raising twins and tend to focus on those things, but never consider the pros. Consider the fact we have an instant sibling for each child, no opportunities for baby number one to be so spoiled that the idea of a new baby is unwelcome. What about double the love? Double the kisses? Double the grins? Sure you can throw in double the illness, double the bills, double the crying but we're already losing sleep and money? What's a little more to have an extra baby? 

My favorite pro of all is an instant friend. I'm sure sibling rivalry maybe an issue in the future as it is with most siblings, but as twins, they have a deeper connection then your average pair of siblings. They will achieve milestones at similar times, keep each other entertained, and hopefully be able to laugh and confide in each other as they get older and become the best of friends (not to mention share toys and birthday parties!)

After our first couple of weeks with the girls I was a bit saddened because they seemed to have no realization that the other existed. Since then I've placed them on the same boppy, I've sat them near each other, and Joey and I hold them closely so they can study and connect with each other. It seems now they have started to take interest in each other and this makes me very happy. 




I look forward to seeing them grow, watching them interact, and seeing their similarities and differences even further. I love my girls.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness they are so precious! I love the pics of them together. I agree with you too - double the love. Focus on the positives!!! Oh and the domino art is so cool.

    ReplyDelete