Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cinco De Mayo, 6 Months, and My Friend Marcus.

This week we were able to catch a Cinco de Mayo festival in the area and enjoyed ourselves very much. Festivals are staple events for Joey and I and it was nice to share a bit of that with the girls. It was a small festival but we enjoyed the food and the entertainment which consisted of some mariachi groups and student ballet folklorico dancing.


The girls were a pretty big attraction too. They received so many compliments, and there were many "Aye que chulas!" not to mention all of the times the girls had to be touched to prevent "ojo" or in English, the evil eye, where a child can become ill if a person who covets the child or admires him/her doesn't touch them.

Joey and I really don't believe all that, but it's a part of the culture and we just smile and say "thank you."

Of course, that's because we know these little girls are quite the charmers...



Mommy and Daddy had fun too.

Baby headband flowers work great as accessories for mommy too!
Baby carriers are BOSS

We had a terrific Saturday which set up for an even better Sunday! I was anxiously awaiting for the girls to wake up this morning so I could snap pics of them in their crib to tell them HAPPY 6 MONTHS!!


I can't believe it. My girls are getting so big! Tomorrow we have the 6 month check up and I'll have stats to post on their development then, but I will say last week we found out Mila was already over 16 lbs!

It was a great day, which turned even more bitter sweet as we were giving the girls their last bottle for the night. I became quite nervous when we saw the President would speak this evening, without so much of a hint regarding the subject. This world is a crazy, ugly place at times and I just don't know what to expect next.

The news that soon followed regarding the death of Osama Bin Laden brought a series of emotions. I remember the fear I felt on 9/11, I remember the images that will be forever etched in my memory. I remember the spirit of the American people when the wars began. I remember getting the phone call from my mom telling me Marcus had died during the efforts over seas. It is something that has never left my heart.

Marcus was a good family friend. Our parents were close, and we went to church together. I was fortunate enough to get to know him better later in life through a long series of Myspace messages during the end of his first tour, the time he came home, and through a short period of his second tour. I re-read those messages tonight which I had copied and pasted onto another document when I deleted my Myspace so I'd never lose those conversations. Some of the things I read my me cry, some made me smile, and some made me laugh (like when he jokingly said my puppy would behave better if I beat him with a hanger, always a joker).

Although we always knew Marcus' death was never in vain, I think knowing that Bin Laden is now dead, and can no longer hurt others makes it sting a bit less. So many lost their lives during the attacks, and during the war against terrorism, this was a tribute to them and their hard work. I know Marcus is leading the celebration in heaven right now.

Sgt Reuben Marcus Fernandez


I am thankful to be an American. I am thankful for our FBI, CIA, and other special operatives. I am thankful for the Allies that supported our efforts. I am thankful for former President George W. Bush, and President Barack Obama. I am thankful for Americans that stand by their government, their leaders, and their troops and don't allow themselves to fall into negative mindsets. I am thankful for the troops and their families that sacrifice so much. I am thankful for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice with their lives.

I am thankful for Marcus and his family. I pray they sleep with an insurmountable peace tonight knowing their loved one was a part of such an incredible mission to rid this world of hate and fear.

I am thankful for you if you took the time to read all of this, as it is very close to my heart. Do me a favor, read more about my friend Marcus here. view the pictures from his services here, and watch a small portion of a highlight video of his beautiful memorial here.


I believe the more people that know his story, and what he stood for not only keeps his memory alive, but has the power to touch the hearts of even complete strangers.


Have a blessed week, and GOD BLESS AMERICA.

No comments:

Post a Comment